Hemophilia is a bleeding disorder in which the blood does not clot properly. It is an inherited disease (from parents to offspring). This can cause spontaneous bleeding following injuries or surgery & could be fatal (Inability of blood to clot).
There are certain components which help in clot formation & prevent bleeding which are mostly
protein in nature such as:
- Fibrinogen (Factor 1)
- Prothrombin (Factor 2)
- Tissue thromboplastin (Factor 3)
- Ionized calcium (Factor 4)
They are 13 in number that work in a cascade to stop bleeding. Any missing factor or any mutation can cause bleeding disorder as the path way is disturbed. The pathway is called COAGULATION CASCADE.
SYMPTOMS OF HEMOPHILIA:
- Unexplained & excessive bleeding from cuts or injuries.
- Unusual bleeding after vaccination.
- Large & deep bruises.
- Blood in urine or stool.
- Nosebleed without any cause.
- Bleeding from gums.
There are three types of hemophilia
- Hemophilia A: Caused by lack of Clotting Factor Eight. Approximately 85% of total Hemophilic patients
- Hemophilia B: Caused by deficiency of Factor Nine.
- Hemophilia C: Due to lack of Factor Eleven.
Following are the causes of hemophilia:
- Due to the Mutation In Gene that controls & regulates the development of a clotting factor.
- Autoimmune diseases.
There are certain Screening & Diagnostic tests done to detect Hemophilia
- Complete Blood Count
- Activated Partial Thromboplastin Time ( APTT )
- Prothrombin time ( PT )
- Fibrinogen Test
Although there is no 100% cure for hemophilia, still the best way to treat hemophilia is to Replace the missing blood clotting factors from the blood so that the blood can clot properly. This is done typically by injecting treatment products such as Clotting factor concentrates.
As Hemophilia is due to mutation in genes hence there is no 100% way to prevent hemophilia. There are some ways which can decrease the rate of this disease which includes decrease cousin marriages, Increase Immunity, Refrain from radiations which are harmful for health such as UV radiations, CT scan radiations
Diets rich in calcium & Iron are good prescribed for hemophilia.Iron is better absorbed when you eat a source of vitamin C along with an iron-rich food such as oranges and other citrus fruits. tomatoes. red and green bell peppers.
Leave a Reply